Frances Marvin Smith Webster1845-11-03Lucien Bonaparte WebsterNew York, NY40.7127837-74.0059413I received yours of the 21st October today, my dearest husband, and thank you for it. I was surprised and sorry to learn from it, that you had received none of my letters. I have written to you four times, and trust that before this reaches you, you will have had them all. The two first were directed to Fort Pickens, the last to Fort McRae.Major Whiting called here today with Dr. Russell and informed me that he intended sailing the first of next week in the barque "Ann Walsh" for Pensacola. Now this is such a fine opportunity that I do not like to lose it and I am almost tempted to go with the Major in opposition to the advice of all here. Dr. Russell says that if he were my husband he would order me to stay at the North, but that if you are ordered to Fort Pike or any better post than Pensacola affords he will cease his opposition to my joining you. I am really distressed, and perplexed, between my anxiety to be with you, and my fears lest I should expose our dear children to discomfort and ill health. The Major says Mrs. Ricketts has written the most deplorable accounts of her situation, and says that she now would be thankful for the scraps Mrs. McNeill gives to the beggars in the streets of Boston. I hope her expressions are exaggerated beyond all foundation, if not I shall fear that you will die of starvation. However, if I come on I will try and bring you something to eat for a while at least. I have been talking over the subject of joining you with Major Whiting, and have concluded to wait until I hear from you again. If you should be ordered to Fort Pike I shall join you without delay.I heard from your brother yesterday. His letter was very kind and urgent on the subject of my visiting them. He tells me that I can obtain board (heat, and lights included) for myself and children at the hotel in Geneva [New York] for $7 or 8 a week and Dr. Russell thinks it would be much cheaper than for me to go to Pensacola and keep house. It is cheaper than I could obtain lodgings at New Haven. You must answer as soon as you get it, so that if I go to Geneva I can leave here the last of this month. If meanwhile you should write advising me to join you without further delay I will do so.The ship "Caledonia" arrived today from England and brought rather startling news. All the talk now is of war with England on account of Oregon. The Queen has ordered a host of ships (steam) of war to be fitted out, to be victualled and manned within an incredibly short time, which the contractors have been compelled to give bonds to do. I could give you the-- NA --particulars with more accuracy if I had seen the papers. I have merely heard the matter talked over by the gentlemen. God save us from war I say.Your old friend General Morris has called to see me two or three times. He seems very friendly towards you and sends all sorts of regard. He invited me to go to the opera this eve, but I declined, for I whished to write to you. I forget whether I told you that Josie's eye was a little troublesome again. It is better now than when I wrote you last, and Fanny as fat as a little seal, although rather troublesome just now in consequence of a severe cold.I shall write you again my dear dear husband by Major Whiting, and I hope that some of my numerous epistles will reach you. I think of you dearest one, night and day and dread to reflect that if I should go to Geneva, seven or eight long dreary months must pass before I can see you, and God only knows what may happen to either of us in that time but we must pray for resignation to His will, and believe that he will guide us in the way that is best for us. May he ever bless and preserve you my own beloved one. Your affectionate Frances